Monday 17 November 2014

Who's Knocking?

The idea for this little character was to have a little light sculpture for the garden.
There are lots of cheap, solar powered LED lights available. But usually they are simple lights or flowers.
Initially I thought of another Ork - like the Slug Hunter - holding a lantern.
Then I remembered an "Scrooge" bust I once saw. I can't remember much, other that Scrooge was in a night gown and a sleeping cap, holding a candle, and a frowning facial expression.

So I thought about a garden creature that was disturbed in his lair, and checking out the surroundings, holding his lantern.

I started with the basic shape.
  
So he's holding his night gown and holding out his lantern.
 
A wooden stick in his arm will ensure it is hollow and I can run a cable through.
Smoothing the robe and adding folds and creases.
 
To transport the idea further I decided to have him coming out of a ground hole, checking the area.
 
But for this I also needed a door.
 
While the door cured to a certain steadiness I started the head.
 
A hopefully investigative facial expression
 
and a night cap :)
 
Mounting the door - supported by a coffee mug.
 
Next I built the lantern.
 
quite some delicate cutting.
 
Until he's burnt, he will only hold the lop of the lantern, while the body will be separate.
 
 
Once everything is burnt, I can mount the LED through his arm.
 
I hope you like this update and I look forward to your comments and feedback
Cheers
Klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment