Saturday 8 November 2014

Bertha the (fountain) Dragon and Roland the Frog

This piece is almost done, but still work-in-progress.
 
The idea is a little fountain for the garden in which a lying dragon is spouting water - and hits a frog, who's carrying an umbrella.
Pretty silly, isn't it?
 
Well, as usual I started off with a little base.
Onto which I added a slab of clay, starting the basic shape for Bertha.
The hind leg and claws.
And the front leg. The texture of the ground was done with a stiff brush.
As you can see I'm a sucker for smoothing early, but I prefer to have most of the textures early in the sculpt.
The other sides hind leg,
and the front leg, exposing the pose.
The right paw.
Then I inserted a hose, which will in the end be used to connect to the water pump for the fountain.
Around this I started the neck and basic head.
The head got heavy and needed some support :)
Starting the facial structures.
And adding details such as horns and the tiny wings.
Then the wings received their skin(?)
After removing the support I felt the neck was to thick, so I reworked the lines.
Better, but now it needed extra time with the support.
While the neck cured, I started with the frog section.
For this I created a little lily pad.
And started with the basic shape for Roland,
and positioned him on the pad.
Then I started the legs.
and arms :)
Next was to create Roland's umbrella.
I wanted to do a rather large leaf, from which the water would be deflected. So I sculpted the basic shape and let it cure.
In the meantime I hollowed the dragon.
This is necessary for the burn process, but also for inserting the hose once Bertha is burnt.
I managed to hollow her and even remove the hose without any major damage - some small scratches were easily covered again.
So this is the final walk-around for Bertha:
With Bertha completed I wanted to position the leaf umbrella on Roland.
But the leaf was to heavy for the stalk and it broke off :(
 
So I decided to sculpt a smaller mushroom instead.
The mushroom needs to cure a bit before I can position it safely, and then I still need to sculpt Roland's hand holding it.
I hope you like this little scene and I look forward to your comments and feedback.
Cheers
klaus

No comments:

Post a Comment